Originally published in October 2017, updated March 2020.
Airborne contaminants come from indoor and outdoor sources. Naturally, you have more control over the particles and fumes that circulate in your Milton, FL home. Many studies have measured concentrations of volatile organic compounds (VOCs). In most cases, pollution levels were two to five times higher in indoor air compared to the outdoor air in large cities.
Another contributing factor is how tightly modern homes are sealed. In Milton, Pensacola and nearby cities in northern Florida, most homes are tightly sealed so that the conditioned air can’t escape. Newer homes have even lower air exchange rates. This means that pollution increases dramatically. Fortunately, you can improve your indoor air quality by following these tips.
Tips for Improving Indoor Air Quality
- To prevent biologic particulates and spores and remove excess moisture, use exhaust fans when cooking or bathing.
- Open windows or use exhaust fans to remove harsh fumes released by cleaning products.
- Use your vacuum’s crevice tool to clean baseboards where dirt collects.
- Increase ventilation when painting or installing new carpet.
- Furnishings made from particleboard release formaldehyde. Allow these items to air out, or seal them with a low-VOC varnish.
- Minimize the use of chemical air fresheners that contain irritating ingredients.
- Your HVAC return filter removes large particles and contaminants. Replace it monthly.
Other Causes of Poor Air Quality in Milton, FL
Sometimes, larger problems contribute to poor air quality. Cracks and tears in the ductwork cause more trouble on the return side of your HVAC system where air is pulled into your heat pump or air conditioner. Dust from your crawlspace or attic moves toward the cooling components. On the distribution side, cracks and openings decrease efficiency by allowing the conditioned air to escape.
Air Purifiers Provide Healthy Air to Breathe
If you have persistent air quality problems, we can install an air cleaner that will remove a wide range of microscopic pollutants. The Bryant® Perfect Air Purifier uses Captures and Kills™ technology that removes dangerous viruses, bacteria, pollen and allergens from the air you breathe. It has the ability to kill or inactivate 99% of the pathogens that are caught in the filter. As your HVAC system circulates air throughout your home – up to 8 times per hour – your air is re-purified, not just filtered. An air purifier is an excellent choice in providing healthy indoor air for you and your family.
You can learn more about our indoor air quality solutions online or by calling the Lunsford Air Conditioning & Heating office.